Sometime hugs speak louder than words.
What to Say to a Widow/Widower
- Your loss is so profound I don't know what to say, but I'd like to sit here and visit with you.
- I'm sorry; I can't imagine how much you are hurting.
- I'd like to be your friend...let's meet for coffee.
- Would you like a friend to go along to that appointment with you?
- Will you please call me if you get sick so I can help take care of your children?
- I haven't lost a spouse; tell me what I can do to encourage you.
- Your husband/wife meant a great deal to me. I remember when he/she.......
- May I make an extra casserole to put in your freezer for a hectic night?
- Your husband's/wife's love for you and your children was evident in everything he/she did.
- Would you come for dinner and movie night at our house?
- Do you have family to spend the holiday with? If not, would you please spend it with us?
- You are doing a great job. It's tough to raise kids alone.
- May my husband and sons come put your Christmas lights up on your house for you? (and take them down)